Explore restorative practices to effectively respond to serious incidents and trauma
Whether you work with youth living in poverty, families with broken relationships or older immigrants facing language barriers, you know that adversity can be as debilitating as extreme trauma. Learn techniques that can help you work with individuals and communities facing adversity or impacted by trauma.
This is an advanced restorative practices event, which assumes you have already received introductory professional development in the field. If you haven’t, please consider starting with our Basic Restorative Practices or Restorative Practices for Educators event.
This event is comprised of highly interactive instruction, including case studies, storytelling and personal reflection.
1. Learn two new techniques to work with highly traumatized populations or clients who have experienced significant emotional distress:
- Restorative Questions, which help people process their feelings and provide emotional healing.
- Compassionate Witnessing, as developed by Kaethe Weingarten, Ph.D., as a method to explore common shock resulting from witnessing violence and violation.
2. View and discuss videos of powerful true stories illustrating the emotional dynamics and healing potential of restorative practices in the wake of serious incidents.
3. Explore the grieving process from a fresh and practical perspective, more beneficial than the traditional linear “stages of grief.”
4. Address the essential issue of self-care in your work with traumatized clients in a high-stress environment, as well as how your organization can ensure the health and well-being of your staff.
You will learn how to:
- Help individuals heal in the wake of personal harm.
- Foster trusting and supportive relationships with clients.
- Develop methods for your own self-care and avoid burnout.
You will receive an e-book copy of Kaethe Weingarten’s Common Shock.
Upcoming Restorative Responses to Trauma and Adversity events
Many of our in-person events are not scheduled at this time. Please see our Online Events, and check back for future in-person offerings.